International Scientific Symposium
On the Shroud of Turin
(The 1997 Nice Symposium)
May 12th-13th 1997
On May 12th, 13th and 14th of 1997, the International Center for the Study of the Shroud of Turin (CIELT), the largest Shroud study organization in France, sponsored a major symposium. Many researchers from around the world attended the event and presented papers and abstracts regarding current and future Shroud studies. Several of these are already reprinted on this website. Select the presentation you wish to read by clicking on its highlighted title below.
Proceedings Now Available
Copies of the Proceedings of the 1997 Nice Symposium are now available directly from C.I.E.L.T. The price is 145 FF per copy plus 50 FF postage (outside of Europe) and 30 FF postage in Europe. Contact the organization at:C.I.E.L.T.
50 Avenue Des Ternes
Tel: 45 72 53 81
Fax: 45 72 55 90
Access to this site does not grant any rights to copy, publish, sell, license or distribute any included materials, in any form or media, without the express, written permission of the copyright holders. Editorial opinions expressed herein are solely those of the respective authors.
MONDAY MAY 12th
Conference Chairman: Marcel Alonso
Moderator: Olivier Pourrat
Optical Physics and Digital Imaging
- Eric de Bazelaire - Considerations on the image digital encoding and proposals for relevant research.
- Anne-Laure Courage and André Marion - Deciphering shadow letters appearing on the Shroud.
- Georges Salet - Requirements for a Scientific Explanation of the Image.
- Isabel Piczek - The Concept of "Negativity" Through the Ages vs The Negative Image on the Shroud.
- Giulio Fanti - A Proposal for High Resolution Colorimetric Mapping of the Turin Shroud: Analysis of Metrological Problems.
- Keith Propp - Colour and Intensity Analyses of the Shroud of Turin.
Physics and Analytical Chemistry,
- Bertrand Ludes - Genetic Analysis of an Ancient Human Blood Stain.
- Silvio Diana and Emanuela Marinelli - Optical Properties of Ancient Textile Fibers: Racemization and Epimerization.
- Carlo Goldoni - Dating by Electrophoretic Mobility Measurement of Haemoglobin Molecules.
- John P. Jackson - Scientific Considerations of the Shroud's Radiocarbon Date.
- Jean Solas - Blood Stains on the Shroud. Distinctive Characteristics. The Problem of Their Transfer.
- Sebastiano Rodante - Medico-necroscopic Enquiry of Wounds from the Crowning with Thorns on a Mediaeval Painting. Comparison With Corresponding Image on the Shroud.
- Pierre Mérat- The Nailing of the Feet on the Cross.
- Robert Bucklin - An Autopsy on the Man of the Shroud
Characterization of the Shroud
- Alan D. Adler - Concerning the Side Strip on the Shroud of Turin
- Stéphane Mottin - Problematic of Metrology on the Shroud of Turin. UV Fluorescence of Ancient Cloths.
- Ian Dickinson - New Evidence for the Image on the Shroud.
TUESDAY MAY 13th
Conference Chairman: Dorothy Crispino
Moderator: Maxence Hecquard
- E. Lennox Manton - Frescos of Cappadocia
- Fr. Pfeiffer - Iconography of Christ's Passion and His wounds in Relation to the Shroud's Probable Route from Constantinople to Lirey.
- Colette Dufour-Bozzo - The Holy Face of Genoa.
- Rex Morgan - Did the French Take the Holy Shroud to England?
- Daniel Scavone - Joseph of Arimathea, the Holy Grail and the Edessa Icon: the Social Pathways of a Popular Legend.
- Maria Grazia Siliato - Misinterpretations of the Shroud Image Trough the Ages. Their Origin and Their Significance.
- Tarquinio Ladu - Ultimate Affront: Coins Over the Eyelids.
- Sister Blandina Pascalis Schlomer - The Veronica and the Shroud. The Two Original Images.
- Rebecca Jackson - First Century Jewish Customs, Laws, Patterns, History and Folkways and the Shroud of Turin.
- Daniel Raffard de Brienne - The Dukes of Athens and the Shroud.
- Fr. Dubarle - The Turin Shroud Remains Unnoticed in the Sainte Chapelle, Paris.
- Jack Markwardt - Was the Shroud in Languedoc During the Missing Years?
- Remi Van Haelst - The Red Stains on the Lier and Other Shroud Copies
- Don Luigi Fossati - The Documentary Worth of the Shroud Copy Conserved in Saint Gommaire Church.
- Mark Guscin - The Sudarium of Oviedo
- Winfried Wuermeling - The Holy Tunic of Argenteuil.
CENTRE UNIVERSITAIRE MÉDITERRANÉEN
- Gaston Ciais - Shroud History In and Around Nice.
- Luc Thévenon - Pictorial Art in Nice Inspired by the Shroud's Passage There.
- Dorothy Crispino - To Know the Truth.
- Bruno Barberis - Programme of the Centro of Turin.
- Pierluigi Baima Bollone - Update of Blood Studies.
- Marcel Alonso - The Scientific Programme for the 1998 Exposition.
- Daniel Raffard de Brienne - Conclusions and Perspectives. Turin trip programme.
Posters and Exhibitions
- Edward Lindner - Analysis of the remarkable evidence and a description of experiments that explain all the traces found on the Shroud of Turin.
- André Marion and Anne-Laure Courage - Image Processing, Application to the Shroud.
- Father Philippe Dalleur - Radioactivity of the Shroud and Its Measurement.
- Marta Mariotti Lippi - The Woven Cloth: a Pollen Trap. Some notes.