Shroud Conferences and Symposia
This page will provide an overview and archive of Conferences and Symposia on the Shroud of Turin. By selecting a specific conference below, you will be taken to either the conference website (if available) or a page on Shroud.com that describes the event and includes the conference schedule that lists every speaker and topic. In many cases, you will find links to papers that were presented at these conferences. These same papers can also be accessed from the Scientific Papers & Articles and Shroud Library pages of this site.
- The 1996 Esopus Conference - August 23-25, 1996 - Includes a complete listing of presenters, the title of each presentation and links to five of the conference presentations
- The 1997 Nice Symposium - May 12-13, 1997 - Includes a complete listing of presenters, the title of each presentation and links to eight of the Symposium papers
- The 1998 Turin Symposium - June 5-7, 1998 - Includes a complete listing of presenters, the title of each presentation and links to thirteen of the Symposium papers (five available in multiple languages)
- The 1999 Rome Conference - May 6-8, 1999 - Includes a complete listing of presenters and the title of each presentation in Italian and English language
- The 1999 Richmond Conference - June 18-19-20, 1999 - Includes an Overview of the Conference, many photographs, a complete list of presenters and the titles of each of their presentations. Includes links to eleven of the conference papers.
- The May 2000 Shroud Imaging Conference in San Felice Circeo, Italy - May 6, 2000 - This conference brought together a number of international imaging experts at the Sanctuary of the Shroud in beautiful San Felice Circeo. This page includes an overview of the conference with many color photographs and links to several of the papers presented.
- The Orvieto Worldwide Conference "Sindone 2000" - August 27-28-29, 2000 - Includes a description of the conference, a complete list of all of the speakers and their topics, many color photographs, links to six of the papers presented and a link to the multiple language official conference website where you can download a copy of the Conference Program or order a copy of the three volume printed Proceedings.
- "2nd International Shroud Conference - Dallas 2001" - October 25-28, 2001 - Includes an overview of the conference and a complete list of all the speakers with the topics of each of their presentations. Also includes many color photographs, a link to available CD audio discs and audio cassettes of each speaker and a link to a CD Image disc that includes a PowerPoint® presentation and 92 photographs of the conference.
- "3rd International Dallas Conference on the Shroud of Turin" - September 8-11, 2005 - Includes an overview of the conference and a complete list of all the speakers, a thumbnail photograph of each presenter, the title of each of their presentations and direct Internet links to thirteen of the conference papers. Also includes many color photographs of the event, a link to available CD audio discs and audio cassettes of the conference and a link to an Interactive CD disc that includes a PowerPoint® presentation and 79 high resolution photographs of the conference.
- "The Shroud of Turin: Perspectives On A Multifaceted Enigma" - August 14-17, 2008 - Shroud Science Group International Conference at Ohio State University, Blackwell Hotel - Includes an overview of the conference and a complete list of all the speakers, a thumbnail photograph of each presenter, the title of each of their presentations and direct Internet links to the abstracts and the full conference papers. Also includes many color photographs of the event and links to streaming audio of the various speakers' presentations.
- The II International Congress on the Holy Shroud - August 31 to September 2, 2010 - University of Lima (Peru) - This conference was organized by the Lima Catholic Studies Center (CEC-Lima) and “Accion Universitaria.” The speakers included scholars well know in the Shroud world: Dr. Bruno Barberis, associate professor of mathematical physics at the Faculty of Sciences, University of Turin and since 2002, Director of the International Center for Studies on the Shroud in Turin; Fr. Manuel Carreira S.J.. Doctor of Physics, philosopher and theologian and member of the Vatican Astronomical Observatory, professor at Carroll University, Cleveland (USA) and natural philosophy at the University of Comillas (Spain); and Professor Rafael de la Piedra, a theologian and scholar of the Holy Shroud. The above link is to the Spanish language website of the congress. Rafael has kindly provided us with a more comprehensive overview of the event in both English and Spanish. Here are the links: 2nd International Congress on the Holy Shroud- Lima, Peru (English language) and II Congreso Internacional sobre la Sábana Santa - Lima, Peru (Spanish language).
- Second National Shroud Encounter in Fátima, Portugal - November 20, 2010 - - This conference was organized by the Centro Português de Sindonologia (Portuguese Sindonology Center), founded in the 1980's by Dr. Lagrifa Fernandes, and was held at Allamano's Missionaire Center inside the Museum of Consolata Missionaires near the Fatima Sanctuary. It was titled "Encontro de Estudo e Reflexão sobre o Santo Sudário" (Encounter for Study and Meditation on the Holy Shroud) and the speakers included Dr. Carlos Evaristo, Director of the Ourém Castle Museum, who made a short presentaion about Christian relics including the Sudarium of Oviedo and the Veil of Veronica; TVI journalist Dr. João Paulo Sacadura presented "The Shroud of Turin and the Christians," a presentation full of spiritual meaning; Maria da Glóra Moreira presented "The Holy Shroud in Today's Cathechesis," in which she highlighted the difficulties and challenges in teaching Christ's message in a time of anti religious ideals and how important the Shroud of Turin can be to young people; Dr. Antero Frias Moreira presented "The Shroud of Turin in the Third Millennium" where he focused on debunking the 1988 radiocarbon tests and presented important 21st century scientific possibilities and Sister Maria Paula, a pioneer Portuguese religious woman in Shroud studies who made a personal testimony on her involvement with the Shroud. According to Maria, "...the Centro has a modest webpage with blog (http://www.santosudariodeturim.blogspot.com/) that provides some reliable information in the Portuguese language and is updated from time to time whenever a relevant sindonologic event happens iin our country. Nevertheless we posted information about the Knights Templar theory for the missing years and the controversial Garlaschelli's shroud." Read a first hand Report on the Second National Shroud Encounter in Fátima, Portugal by Dr. Carlos Evaristo, world renown relic expert and one of the conference speakers.
- 1st International Congress on the Holy Shroud in Spain - Valencia (En Español) - April 28-30, 2012 - - This conference was organized by the Centro Español de Sindonologia (CES), which is also celebrating its 25th Anniversary this year. With a host of speakers from around the world presenting papers on a wide array of Shroud related topics, the open event attracted a large volume of attendees who filled the huge auditorium every day. Speakers included noted members of the CES like President Jorge Manuel Rodriguez, Dr. Alfonso Munoz-Cobo, César Barta, Fr. Manuel Carreira and Mark Guscin, as well as Bruno Barberis, Emanuela Marinelli, Marzia Boi, and Paolo di Lazzaro from Italy, John and Rebecca Jackson, Robert Villarreal and Barrie Schwortz from the U.S. and Ian Wilson from Australia. As we have done many times in the past, we have created a special page for the Valencia Conference on Shroud.com. It includes a brief overview and photographs of the event along with a complete listing of the speakers and their topics. We have also included links to some of the excellent papers that were presented and hope to add more in the future.
- 1st International Scientific Congress on the Holy Shroud in Panama (En Español) - June 30 - July 1, 2012 - - This conference was organized and sponsored by the Arquidiocesis de Panama and included presentations by Bruno Barberis, Janice Bennett, Petrus Soons, Fr. Francisco Verar and Barrie Schwortz. The first such event ever held in Panama, there was a huge response that filled the large auditorium to capacity both days. We have also created a special page for the Panama Conference on Shroud.com. It includes a brief overview and photographs of the event along with a complete listing of the speakers and their topics.